Monday, July 16, 2012

Passage to Neah Bay: day 3

Date: July 15, 2012
Previous distance run from the start of the passage: 122.5 (over 20 hours)

Date: July 16, 2012, Time: noon PST
26° 28' N 161° 17' W
Wind speed: 13 / wind dir: 075 (ENE), Heading: 345, Speed: 6.5
Barometer: 1023, Water Temp: 78
Log: 5938.6
Previous 24 hour run: 150.2

I'm currently beam reaching across the trade winds, its beautiful sailing. I'm been making good progress since my star although the winds this morning are diminished from what I have been experiencing since I left Hanalei Bay. Leaving the bay, I had winds in the 15 to 20 knot range, consistently. I had the wind on my starboard side, slightly forward of my beam, sailing an apparent angle of 60 to 80. This resulted in an occasionally wet ride, but I'm perfectly willing to put up with that as the boat is moving really well. The seas are relatively small, maybe 6ft.

Its still warm out, with daytime temperatures in the 80's with the nights remaining warm. The sea temperature actually increased slightly after leaving Hanalei but is now back where it started.

Nothing much to report. Everything is working well, I'm feeling good.

I passed a squall yesterday, my first ever. I passed it on its right side (as you look at it) and the winds behaved just as I expected, from the book: increased wind ahead of the squall, backed winds to its side and diminished backed wind behind it. The diminished winds behind it lasted for roughly 25min, then the original wind picked up again. That was neat.

On this run, I won't be reporting the remaining distance until I'm more or less a straight run from where I am to my destination. At the moment, any attempt at approximating the remaining distance is a guessing game. Its something like 3000 miles, give or take a bunch depending on a lot of things.

----------
radio email processed by SailMail
for information see: http://www.sailmail.com

1 comment:

  1. We can also see the high above you and it looks like you would have to go really far west to avoid it. With a little luck, it will get bored there and search for more furtile ground elsewhere and move out of your way.We had one day where the seas were so flat it looked like a mirror, not a single ripple, amazing stuff. Glad to hear all is well and it sounds like you are having fun which is important too. Take care.
    Joe

    ReplyDelete