Thursday, July 10, 2014

Passage to Beveridge Reef: day 9 and arrival!

Date: July 10, 2014
20° 01.524' S 167° 45.945' W
24 hour run: 48nm
Previous 24 hour run: 116nm
Water Temp: 77.0. Brrrrr!
Log: ?
Distance to go: Zero!

Just a quick note, I've arrived in Beveridge Reef and am anchored on a sand shelf, in 10 feet of water, on the south side of the reef. I arrived at 3pm after almost abandoning the effort for today. There was a six to nine foot south to south west swell in the area, and I wasn't sure how that would go with the entrance to the reef, which is facing west. I decided to head over to the entrance and see how it looked. One thing led to another, and I motored through the pass at 1:30pm. It was a little hairy. The swell was much reduced in size, but what was left of it was meeting an outgoing current of 1.5kn - I wasn't quite surfing the boat in, but I had to be careful to keep her pointed in the right direction.

I'll talk more about where I am in some future post. For now -

All is well onboard. I'm looking forward to sleeping without being interrupted every 20 minutes tonight!

----------
radio email processed by SailMail
for information see: http://www.sailmail.com

4 comments:

  1. Way to go, Craig. Took a while but you were spot on with your arrival. Sleep, blessed sleep. So much to explore with some new pictures I hope. All well here. xox Mum

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you don't mind... I use you as an example to my sailing students of someone who can come learn to sail, buy a boat, and go off sailing. They are almost always wide-eyed, and then their eyes cross when I tell them that you have been single-handing the whole time :-) I think most of us would go psychotic waking up every 20 minutes. I'm looking forward to a photo or 2 of the Reef.
    We are having an unbelievable summer in Seattle. Glad you are having such an amazing time, or else you might be sad to miss such a summer! My husband and I have opted out of going to a family cabin in Michigan - our usual summer trip - because it's warmer and sunnier here!
    Looking forward to more posts, and I love your informative sailing equipment/maneuvers/etc. posts.
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fire up that Ham station. I cannot imagine the DX pile up you would experience from that reef! Good sailing. Keep on enjoying for all of us landlubbers.

    ReplyDelete