Saturday, March 15, 2014

Passage to Nuka Hiva, Day 5

Date: Mar 15, 2014
16° 37? N 117° 11? W
Previous 24 hour run: 140nm
Water Temp: 77
Wind: NE 16. Boat: 6.5 @ 220
Log: 11422.0
Distance to go: 2060nm (Distance from the start was 2620nm.)

I've been out for four days and four hours.

The previous day's run, over 24 hours, was 141nm. Its been pretty consistent sailing, although hour to hour it does not feel that way. I'm now sailing wind-and-wing, with my Genoa poled out to windward, main to leeward, each with a reef in them. The boat speed varies from around 6.5 up to 7.5 as the boat rises over and rides down the waves.

Yesterday, the winds were on the lighter side, generally in the mid-teens until around 3am when they started to pickup with gusts to around 20. From there they slowed down back to the low-mid teens to where they are now. It continues to be good sailing conditions. The cockpit is still dry! My monitor windvane has been working like a champ, steering the boat since I started sailing just south of Cabo San Lucas.

There is little to report. I have seen two freighters since leaving, many more on my AIS, but only two were close enough to be seen visually. I had to maneuver once out of what looked like a collision course - but I saw the situation develop hours ahead of time and was able to make small adjustments to avoid the situation easily. AIS rocks.

I passed Isla Clarion, leaving it to my east by 16nm yesterday. This will be the last land I see until I arrive in the Marquesas. While I was close to the island a group of Boobies (birds) were circling the boat for a while. They took turns trying to land on my masthead, which was constantly in motion. As one bird tried to land, the others would generally make pests of themselves annoying the bird concentrating on landing until it gave up. This lasted for quite a while. I was glad when it stopped as they could do damage to my wind instruments up there, and I don't have anything onboard that I could throw, or shot, at them to encourage them to stop... Maybe I need to invest in a super-soaker water gun or something along those lines.

The dyneema chafe sleeves I installed on my genoa sheets seem to be positioned well, and are doing their job. The sun covers I hand sewed for the cockpit are working and are easily deployed and stowed. The positioning of my reef lines, after having been adjusted two or three times, seems good. The Amsteel monitor lines are holding up well - although there continues to be one source of chafe that I will try to adjust when I arrive. The chafe on the lines is now minor with the Amsteel holding up much better than the old Scanmar lines they replaced. All of those little projects I was working on before leaving seem to be paying off. Nothing has broken so far! My list of "things to adjust when I arrive" is remarkably short, although not empty.

The Pacific Puddle Jump net has formed, there was some uncertainty about it before I left. It is now being held on channel 8B, 8.297 Mhz USB at 0200 and 1400 UTC, with 8A the alternate frequency. There are currently 6 boats underway on the net, with 14 more checking in and waiting for their start. This list will likely grow over the next week or two. It seems that, as of right now, I'm the lead boat heading to the Marquesas. There are likely boats ahead but they are not participating in the net. This is not a race, everybody has different experiences and preferences and wind conditions and goals, etc. But its kinda fun to be in front, or to imagine I'm in front, for however briefly it may turn out to be.

All continues to be well onboard. I think I'll have pasta tonight, maybe with a basil pesto and some fried veggies and chicken.

Enjoy your Saturday everybody!

radio email processed by SailMail
for information see:

1 comment:

  1. Life is good! The water gun sounds like an ideal solution for the boobies, and the sea is cooperating. Nice to have a Pacific Puddle Jump net in place. It's big ocean! Travel well. May the wind be just right. xo Mum