Friday, November 13, 2015

Passage to New Zealand: day 5

25° 14' S 174° 54' E
Water Temp: 74
Distance to go: 597nm

Up until yesterday evening, this had been a beautiful, easy sail. I had been sailing along, in easy seas, upwind in light wind and gentle seas. It was almost like I was sailing inland waters, there was negligible swell and the wind waves were small, making the motion very easy.

Yesterday evening I saw squalls ahead, and for the first time in over 24 hours had to adjust the sails by reefing them, preparing for the strengthening winds. The squalls lasted until around 8pm at which time I was left in a uniform area of stronger winds and larger waves. I continue to beat upward, and the motion has gone from being gentle to a beat. Moving around the cabin is once again a chore, with Luckness continually rising and falling rapidly with the waves. I expect this to continue at least for another 24 hours, at which time the winds should have backed around to the north and I will be able to sail downwind for a while. This will be followed by a front and then west, south west and south winds for my approach to New Zealand.

Its become hard work, but all is well aboard.

----------
radio email processed by SailMail
for information see: http://www.sailmail.com

1 comment:

  1. Variety is the spice of life so some say. Perhaps a little less spice?
    Stay balanced. Mum

    ReplyDelete